Barntown NS Rackard League

Rackard League 2017 - 2018

rackardleague 2017 girls

This is the Rackard League Girls Football Squad for 2017.

The year 2016-2017 has been an historic year for Barntown National School in the Rackard League. The boys Rackard League Team won both the Roinn A Football and Hurling double. The boys also reached the Mini-7's Final.


You can have a look at some of our pictures and scroll down to read  accounts of the three finals played this year.




Explosive start the difference as Barntown storm to top grade title

Barntown 3-9 Piercestown 1-4

They say that a good start is half the work and this proved very true in this year’s Allianz Cumann na mBunscol Rackard League Roinn ‘A’ final. Within three minutes of the throw in, Barntown had 3-1 on the board and this early haul of scores was always going to separate the teams at the final whistle.

From the off, Barntown’s size, speed and skill simply blew Piercestown away in a succession of repeated attacks. Midfielder Darragh Murphy started proceedings with a powerful run and point. Ferdia Reynolds showed some great skill to get the game’s first goal immediately after. Patrick Berry and Seán Cooney then finished off this dream start with a goal apiece.

Piercestown eventually gathered themselves and put a stop to this Barntown onslaught. In fact, for the remainder of the first half Barntown would only score once more from play. Corner back Eoin Sinnott in particular was tenacious in defence as he led the fightback.

Barntown got the remainder of their first half scores through accurate freetaker Darragh Murphy. Four frees and a Ferdia Reynolds point from play managed to keep the scoreboard ticking. Piercestown could only reply with a single point through Joe Mernagh. Fourteen points down and facing a formidable opponent, one would have forgiven the Piercestown boys for losing enthusiasm in the second half. That was never going to happen however.

Centre forward Joe Mernagh continued where he left off and got two early points in the second half to rally his teammates. No.8’s, Eoin Ormonde and Daniel Brazzill, then exchanged scores. Momentarily, there was a spark of belief when Oisín Kehoe rifled the ball into the Barntown net, but this was to be Piercestown’s last score of the game. Darragh Murphy tapped over two more frees to steady the ship and Barntown goalie Cian Turner and centreback Conor Lyne ensured that the door remained firmly shut for the closing minutes.

Barntown: Cian Turner, Josh Murphy, Fionn O’Callaghan, Kevin Rowe, Cian White, Conor Lyne, Callum McDonald, Daniel Brazzill, Daragh Murphy, Seán Cooney, Ferdia Reynolds, Will Hayes, Patrick Berry, Lughaidh Hayden, Ben Redmond, Aaron Nolan, Jack Sinnott, Paddy O’Leary, Aaron Murphy, Rory Gallagher, Bradley McGuire, Adam Dempsey, Liam Donohue, Alex Breen

Piercestown: Cormac Simpson, Reuben Lafferty, Paul Coggins, Eoin Sinnott, Harry Quirke, Josh Whitty, Alex Lafferty, Eoin Ormonde, Mark Hennessy, Oisín Kehoe, Joe Mernagh, Ben Larkin, Alfie Jeffares, Marty Kilshaw-Reynolds, Sam Norval, Ryan Sinnott, Nathan Roche, Thomas Connick, Calum McCleane, Rory Roche, Leo Barry, Adam Newport, Charlie Quirke, Luke Whitty, Conor Mullen, James Hegarty, Eric O’Gorman, Ciarán Kelly, Oscar Barry, Eoin Dodd


Rathnure rally to beat Barntown


Rathnure 1-6 Barntown 2-0

Barntown and Rathnure both truly experienced the highs and lows that come with any final when they battled it out for this year’s Allianz Cumann na mBunscol Rackard League MiniSevens Hurling title. Barntown saw their excellent work come undone when Rathnure turned the game on its head in the second half.

Before the match, both teams impressively spent some time on hooking and blocking and this was reflected in an intensely competitive final. Wides were exchanged in the opening minutes before Luke Codd pointed a free to put Rathnure in the lead. Barntown then exploded into life with two quickfire goals. The first came when Sean Cooney cleverly hit the ball into the ground for a neat finish from distance. Seconds later, Aaron Nolan put Cooney through on goal with a neat ground stroke and another calm finish put Barntown goal into a five points lead.

Rathnure came out for the second half with a completely different attitude. A belter of free from David Cooney Browne nearly burst the net and put his team back in the running. Moments later, he almost had a second goal but instead he kicked a loose ball over the crossbar for a point. Another Luke Codd free levelled the game to ensure some late drama.

The inspirational score of the evening came from Luke Codd. After a forty yard dash out the field he dispossessed a Barntown defender, won the dirty ground ball and stuck it over the bar. Such a great score from out on the sideline and under the stand was much to the delight of the Rathnure supporters. Now chasing the game, Barntown pressed on but their ill discipline was punished once more when Luke Codd put over his third free of the game.

Meanwhile at the other end of the field, Rathnure defenders, Donal Wickham and captain Harry Codd ensured that Barntown got no further chances to get back into the game. One more point from David Cooney Byrne saw Rathnure finish as winners by three points in the end.

If ever there was a game to prove that finals are never over at halftime, this was it.

Rathnure: Tomas Guiney, Donal Wickham, Harry Codd, Oisin Byrne, David Cooney Browne, Luke Codd, Eamonn Wickham, Michael Gregory, Nicholas Martin, Kian O’Leary, Stephen Reilly, Conor O’Neill, Cathal Ryan, Dennis Lambert, Brian O’Neill, JJ Redmond

Barntown: Patrick Berry, Fionn O’Callaghan, Callum McDonald, Ben Redmond, Will Hayes, Aaron Nolan, Sean Cooney, Kevin Rowe, Jack Sinnott, Rory Gallagher, Adam Dempsey, Paddy O’Leary


Barntown hang on to take Roinn A honours


Barntown 3-8 Rathangan 1-8

A first half purple patch of scoring for Barntown was the difference this year in the Allianz Cumann na mBunscol Rackard League Roinn A boy’s football final. It was a historic night for Barntown as this was their first football final since going as a single school entity. Standing in their way was a Rathangan team who were very experienced in playing in recent ‘A’ finals and determined to claim a major win of their own.

Barntown were a scoring threat from the start of the match and could have had two early goals only for the post and crossbar denying them. Despite this early promise, after ten minutes and a handful of wides they only had a Liam Donoghue point from a free to show for their efforts. Rathangan on the other hand held a slender lead thanks to points from Páidí Doyle and Shane Ryan.

Fourteen minutes into the game, Barntown finally began to yield some scores that their efforts deserved and these scores would prove crucial to winning the match. Corner Forward Daniel Brazzill did well to attack at speed and set up Patrick Berry for a goal. Seconds later, Will Carroll-Hayes kicked in a long range free that somehow emerged from the mist to slip past everyone into the net. Captain Callum McDonald then snuck in with a point to put the Barntown boys six points ahead. Barntown continued this run of good form in the ensuing minutes and scored three further points to pile more misery on their opponents. Barntown’s space and speed in attack was scintillating, particularly down the left flank.

Rathangan dug deep and began a noble comeback before half time. Their two corner forwards got important scores to reduce the lead back down to four. Justin McMahon put over a two frees and Conor Stone Walsh was first to pounce on a rebound and grab the vital goal that his team needed. Rathangan could have inflicted more damage had Barntown goalie Darragh Murphy not saved a penalty before the break.

The second half was much more in Rathangan’s favour. Finn Ryan was excellent as he took the Barntown defence on. Once more, Darragh Murphy denied Rathangan from the penalty spot to keep his team ahead but he couldn’t stop the brilliant points from Shane Ryan and Cian Walsh. Barntown were living off scraps and had to be content with scores from Patrick Berry and Sean Cooney to keep their lead intact. When Finn Ryan and Andrew Moran brought the gap back down to a goal with five minutes remaining, it looked like Rathangan could just about to nick it in the end.

Barntown didn’t cough up any more chances to tempt their opponents however and goalkeeper and man-of-the-match Darragh Murphy ensured that the door remained firmly shut. Corner back Josh Murphy started a fantastic team move up the field that ended with Fionn O’Callaghan nabbing a goal and this would prove to be the cherry on top for the Barntown boys on a historic evening.

Barntown: Darragh Murphy, Josh Murphy, Alex Breen, Kevin Rowe, Cian Turner, Conor Lyne, Cian White, Will Carroll-Hayes, Sean Cooney, Patrick Berry, Ferdia Reynolds, Callum McDonald, Aaron Nolan, Liam Donoghue, Daniel Brazzill, Aaron Murphy, Paddy O’Leary, Joe Gilhooly, Lughaidh Hayden, Fionn O’Callaghan, David Plummer

Rathangan: Jack Kelly, Bobby Reville, Dylan Moran, Mogue Barry Cleary, Eoin McMahon, Finn Ryan, Cian Walsh, Paidi Doyle, Liam Berry, Shane Ryan, Andrew Moran, Ben White, Justin McMahon, Cathal Murphy, Conor Stone Walsh, Aidan O’Brien, Cillian Donovan, Darragh Sinnott, Dara Browne, Adam Duggan, Ruairi Flannery, Conor Kennedy, Jack Martin, Tristan Odlum, Liam Philips, Aidan Brennan, Kevin Byrne, Robert Moore, Eoin Browne